Calvin & Sarah’s Nutrition Q&A

In this post, we’ll be giving you our best advice on how to eat if you want to live long and strong!

Simplest Advice on Making Food Related Decisions:

Calvin: I ask myself, “self, would it be better to starve than to eat this whatchamacallit?” and if the honest answer is yes, I don’t eat it… unless it’s time for my cheat meal, and I’m dying for some Ben & Jerry’s 😉 You see, why would I put something into my body that offers my body more harm than good? Because it tastes good? Well, I can certainly think of plenty of nutritious and delicious foods to eat, as well. Because it’s what was available? Give me a break! Maybe skip a meal… I can almost guarantee you won’t be forced to fast all day due to lack of available health foods. I’m not saying you can’t have your cake (health), and eat it, too (Ben & Jerry’s, Pizza Delivery, etc…), but my recommendation would be to find a balance. I try to apply Pareto’s Principle to my food related decisions. I allow some wiggle room on 20% of my choices each day, and I nourish my body as best as I can the other 80% of the time. When we’re making 200 food related choices each day, it’s very, very difficult to be perfect (unless you’re my girlfriend, Sarah, who’s idea of cheating is having too many figs or dates). So, find a happy medium that works for you, and STICK TO IT!

Sarah: Keep it simple.

What should you eat?

Calvin: Eat LOTS of these 5 things – NUTS, SEEDS, fruits, VEGETABLES, and healthy meats – in their natural state (not roasted, salted, frozen, and shelved for months)

Sarah: Typically, you should avoid things that try to sell you on being healthy. If you think Cinnamon Toast Crunch is “part of a balanced breakfast” or chocolate milk is “A good source of calcium and protein” then you’ve been fooled by marketing. The foods that are actually good for you don’t need to be labeled… everyone knows that spinach, almonds, chia seeds, mangos, and wild-caught salmon are packed full of nutrients! Also, avoid things labeled “low fat” or “zero sugar,” as the bad stuff is what they add in its place!

What’s the best ratio of carbs, fats and proteins? Continue reading “Calvin & Sarah’s Nutrition Q&A”